NortheastNaga farmers come under attacking Manipur, no casualty repor...

Naga farmers come under attacking Manipur, no casualty reported

Correspondent

IMPHAL, MAY 22: Suspected Kuki militants attacked a group of Naga farmers in Manipur’s Noney district on Friday amid escalating hostage stand-off between Naga and Kuki groups. No injury or casualty was reported in the “unprovoked armed attack” that came barely a day after the suspected Kuki militants allegedly resumed their armed aggression campaign in Ukhrul district on May 21.
Reports said that the suspects fired several rounds of gun shots toward the Naga farmers at Pongringlong (Charoi Pandongba) near Tupul in Noney district around 2.20 pm on Friday.
The Working Committee of Joint Tribes Council Manipur (JTCM), in a statement, said it was an “unprovoked armed attack by illegal Kuki militants on innocent Naga farmers,” while expressing its deepest shock, outrage, and unequivocal condemnation of the cowardly attack. The attack involved indiscriminate and continuous firing and it was a direct assault on humanity, peace, and the very spirit of coexistence in Manipur, the JTCM alleged.
Friday’s firing toward the farmers was the second targeted attack on unarmed Naga civilians in the recent times. The first was the brutal killing of Naga farmer Wilson Thanga on May 13, 2026, the JTCM added.
The attack was despite the enduring patience, forgiveness, and restraint shown by the Naga people to uphold communal harmony in the region. “A murder that remains unaddressed. Now, barely healed from that wound, our community is again forced to witness yet another act of senseless violence,” the statement issued by the media & publicity wing of the Working Committee, JTC-Manipur alleged.
“If this issue continues whether through additional attacks on unarmed Naga civilians, continued illegal detention of the six innocent hostages, or any further acts of provocation, the illegal Kuki militants and their leadership will be held fully and solely responsible for all consequences that follow,” it added.
The JTCM added that it will hold them accountable for every drop of blood spilled, every life lost, and every act of destruction that occurs as a result of their continued aggression and refusal to heed reason.
“We hold the illegal Kuki miscreants fully responsible for the safety of the six innocent Naga civilians still under illegal captivity. Our people will not tolerate any further bloodshed. Our patience has limits. We call upon the Government of India, the Manipur State Government to act immediately before the situation spirals into an uncontrollable conflict,” the JTCM added.
It may be noted that earlier on May 21, Sharkapung village was targeted which marked the resumption of Kuki militants’ armed aggression in Ukhrul district after a gap of around 20 days.
Armed with sophisticated weapons, suspected Kuki militants opened fire towards Sharkapung village allegedly from Mongkot Chephu Kuki village around 2.30 pm. No casualty was reported in the attack.
There erupted an exchange of fire for about 20 minutes after the Naga village guards retaliated and fired toward the attackers who were allegedly trying to advance towards their village.
The cross firing ceased only after the state and Central security forces rushed to the area and brought the situation under control.

EDITOR PICKS

Ruins of history

India is entering a critical phase where history is increasingly being turned into a politically ideological weapon. The growing campaign to reclaim mandirs allegedly destroyed or converted during medieval Muslim rule is no longer limited to Ayodhya...