Nagaland Chief Minister T.R. Zeliang has said that the avowed stand of the BJP national leaders and BJP-led NDA government, on the ongoing political crisis within the NPF party, was that the party would not be part of “creating instability” in Nagaland.
Disclosing this to Nagaland Post over phone Saturday, the chief minister who is currently in Delhi along with NPF president Dr. Shürhozelie Liezietsu, parliamentary secretary school education and NPF spokesperson Yitachu and NPF working president Apong Pongener had met BJP national general secretary Ram Madhav Friday. They also met Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju Saturday at his official residence.
At both meetings held separately, T.R. Zeliang said that the national BJP leaders expressed the same view and had also termed the ongoing crisis within the NPF as “unfortunate”. At the meetings, the two BJP leaders informed the chief minister and NPF delegation, that the Nagaland BJP MLAs have been asked to “stay away from the dissident group as well as ruling NPF party” and also not to extend any support to either group since it was an internal matter of the NPF party.
Zeliang further informed that the BJP leaders also assured them that the “DAN coalition government will continue to go ahead and that nothing should be allowed to disturb it”.
The chief minister further informed, that the delegation reiterated their stand to BJP central leaders, that that anyone group(s) seeking change of leadership of the government, should establish it through a vote of confidence on the floor of the house and not anywhere outside the house. In this, Zeliang referred to the Supreme Court judgement on S. R. Bommai v. Union of India.
Zeliang claimed that the BJP leaders shared the same constitutional interpretation that remedy for any such crisis by an elected government over change of leadership, was to face a confidence motion on the floor of the house.
When asked what steps he would take if the Governor did not act on the cabinet’s recommendation on January 15 for a floor test on January 20, Zeliang said his group will continue to pursue it under the constitutional provisions. He went on the add, however, that “the ball is in the court of the Governor now”.
NPF youth wing plea for spl. session
NPF youth wing Saturday appealed Nagaland Governor to ‘summon the special Assembly session’ as recommended by the council of ministers, to clear the present imbroglio and allow T.R. Zeliang to seek a trust vote.
Stating that the “people of the state cannot be kept in suspense”, NPF youth wing president, N. Vihoshe Swu and working president Bendangtoshi Longchar in a press release said they had full confidence that the Governor without further delay, act according to the laid down rules and not bow down to pressures of the dissident group.
The very reason why the dissidents had been “persuading Governor not to convene the special Assembly session” was because “they are scared for the floor test”, knowing very well that they would “not win the motion”, the wing stated.
Taking a dig at the dissident group, the youth wing further said it was a “total mockery to claim that T.R. Zeliang’s leadership has become a minority, without proving on the floor of the house”.
Meanwhile, the youth wing “urged MLA Imkong L. Imchen, the so called spokesperson of the dissident group to stop issuing unnecessary directive to the government servants.”
The youth wing said that they (govt servants) were not fools to pay any heed to “unwarranted direction of rogue elements who have lost all sense for lust of power”.
Rather, the government servants have been more actively serving the people of the state under the leadership of chief minister T.R. Zeliang, it added.
Stating that since inception the dissidents had been “writing all kind of baseless allegations and spreading unfounded rumors to confuse people”, the youth wing clarified “once and for all that there is only one NPF party, led by president Dr. Shürhozelie and no other NPF as claimed by the dissident group.
