Friday, February 20, 2026
Nagaland NewsDeo Nukhu joins Zeliang’s camp

Deo Nukhu joins Zeliang’s camp

Nukhu denies he was kidnapped
In a significant development Wednesday, Deo Nukhu MLA who was with the Kaito Group at Sovima camp, joined chief minister T.R.Zeliang’s group in Kohima.
Speaking to Nagaland Post, Deo Nukhu rejected reports that he had been kidnapped. He said he decided to return on his own free will.
On his joining T.R. Zeliang’s group in Kohima, Deo said he realised that the party and legislators gave unanimous support to chief minister T.R Zeliang seven months back.
He felt that he should return to the party fold in the interest of the party and people to provide a stable government.
Deo took the right decision: Yitachu
Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) spokesperson, Yitachu said that after Deo Nukhu fled from Sovima camp the number of T.R. Zeliang group has risen to 26 legislators (excluding the Speaker) that included NPF, JDU, NCP and Independents.
Describing Deo Nukhu’s act as “a right decision”, Yitachu said there was no way that the dissident leaders could continue to forcibly keep legislators confined in the Sovima camp.
He said the elected members at Sovima camp were misguided into believing that chief minister T.R. Zeliang could be removed without procedures.
In this regard, he said the Sovima campers should now realise their mistakes and take a correct step.
‘Armed elements forcefully kidnapped Deo Nukhu’, claims rival NPF (Noke)
DIMAPUR, JAN 21 (NPN): Rival NPF (Noke) press & media bureau has accused T.R. Zeliang’s group of “forcefully kidnapping” MLA Deo Nukhu from Dimapur, using “armed elements” and transporting him to Kohima “to join the minority group under the minority chief minister and the former NPF president, Dr. Shürhozelie.”
In a press release issued, “to inform the Naga public and let the people know”, the bureau said this was “what the minority chief minister T.R. Zeliang was resorting to in his shameless greed to cling on to power despite the fact that he no longer enjoys the mandate of the people”.
The bureau said that Nukhu was “forcefully kidnapped by armed elements” while he was “taking his daily morning walk”, Wednesday early hours.
After being taken to Kohima, the bureau alleged that Nukhu was “made to sign documents and make statements under duress against his will”.
The bureau said that they strongly believe in the integrity and commitment of Deo Nukhu that he was behind the leadership of Noke Wangnao and G. Kaito Aye.
Stating that he had already “given his commitment in written documents and legal papers to the Governor, NPF president and to the Election Commission of India”, the bureau said he had also met the Governor on two occasions to uphold his written commitments. “As an honourable elected member, we trust that his commitment still holds firm”, it added.
The bureau while condemning, said “T.R. Zeliang has resorted to such criminal act to kidnap an elected Member using armed elements and underground cadres”.
It said “such type of nefarious activities and horse trading is a dangerous trend that is bound to have far reaching consequences, for which T.R. Zeliang is fully responsible”.
Meanwhile, NPF (Noke) urged upon the “minority chief minister and the former NPF president Dr. Shürhozelie to immediately release the kidnapped MLA” and also release the other MLAs “who are held under forced captivity from the former president’s Oriental Grand hotel immediately”.
The bureau further said that such type of “captivity and kidnapping” was not only illegal and criminal but was also undermining the people’s mandate and suppression of the people’s voice.
Deo believed to be kidnapped: Imchen
Staff Reporter Adds: Following the reports of MLA Deo Nukhu’s sudden dissapearance from Sovima camp, spokesperson of the NPF Legislature party (Kaito), Imkong L. Imchen Wednesday said that they “believe” Deo Nukhu was “kidnapped”.
Talking to Nagaland Post over phone, Imchen when asked who could be behind the kidnapping, said they were yet to be ascertain.
Asked whether an FIR complaint was lodged, he said: “I am told that some people are filing FIR”.
When asked about rumors that some legislators in the camp have been accusing their leaders of misleading them and have resorted to breaking furnitures, Imkong rubbished saying “this is only a fragment of imagination”.

EDITOR PICKS

Coterie insulates Congress

It is certainly not the best of situations that the Congress finds itself in today. Rising defiance within its ranks threatens to spell disaster at a time when the party is striving to consolidate its position as the single largest opposition in Par...