Nagaland NewsGPRN/NSCN (U) censures Kaito’s remarks on village chiefs

GPRN/NSCN (U) censures Kaito’s remarks on village chiefs

DIMAPUR, MAY 19 (NPN): GPRN/NSCN (Unification), under the leadership of president ‘gen.’ (retd.) MB Neokpao Konyak and ato kilonser Alezo Venuh, has strongly denounced and censured the statement made by minister for Roads and Bridges G. Kaito Aye during the Sümi Kükami Hoho (SKH) general conference at Zunheboto, where the minister reportedly urged hereditary village chiefs and traditional leaders to dissociate themselves from the Naga underground.
In a statement, the group termed the remarks made by Kaito on Naga customary institution of village chiefs as “irrational, unjustified and bereft of any historical or moral foundation,” and said such actions struck directly against the spirit and ethos of Naga nationalism.
The group stated that the Naga nationalist movement was ignited and sustained by village heads and said the sacrifices of Hoshepu of Sümi country, Phor village of Pochury country and Huker village of Yimkhiung country remained part of the collective memory of the people. It further said Nagaland politicians should desist from projecting distorted narratives of Naga nationalism before the outside world.
According to the group, village chieftainship was not an extension of any underground organisation, but village chiefs remained custodians of Naga political aspirations and guardians of democratic traditions embedded within Naga customary institutions.
GPRN/NSCN (U) further alleged that the minister’s intervention demonstrated that certain ministers in Nagaland had reduced themselves to functioning as “segregated stovepipes” intent on sowing discord and creating unnecessary distraction within the Naga national movement. It said the chief minister and council of ministers should revisit the officially declared policy positions of the government.
Referring to the Naga peace talks, the group recalled that during the inaugural sitting of the seventh session of the 13th Nagaland Legislative Assembly in February 2021, former interlocutor and governor R. N. Ravi had stated that “early resolution” of the Naga political issue remained the central focus of the government and that negotiations had concluded.
The statement also criticised remarks made by chief minister Neiphiu Rio during an interview with a private television channel, alleging that his insistence on designating a Union minister of state for Home Affairs as interlocutor contradicted the officially declared position of his own government.
The group stated that following conclusion of negotiations, there remained no necessity for any interlocutor as matters within the preamble had already been mutually agreed upon. It further claimed that details of the Naga peace talks and understandings reached had already been briefed to the council of ministers and legislators of Nagaland.
According to the statement, any attempt to create confusion or contradictory narratives would undermine the aspiration for unity and an enduring settlement at a time when Naga nationalist groups were collectively endeavouring towards a consensual and honourable political solution.
The group further alleged that Kaito’s statement, and remarks echoed by the chief minister, revealed attempts to destabilise the Naga national movement and unnecessarily delay the political resolution process.
It also stated that the term “underground” constituted a derogatory mischaracterisation of Naga dignity and should instead be replaced with “Naga Nationalists” or “Naga Nationalist Political Groups”.

EDITOR PICKS

Manipur’s Ethnic Cauldron

Every act of violence in Manipur today arose out of the ember of old unresolved issues be it territorial claims, hard core identity politics furthered by the fuel of ethnic animosity and worsened when trust in public institutions collapses. The viol...