Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Locals protest over ‘fake encounter’

Residents of Samurou in Imphal west staged sit-in protest Sunday registering a strong protest against turning out the village “killing field” even as one more suspected PREPAK militant gunned down by the security forces today taking the militant killed in the last 24-hour to four at separate places of Manipur.
The resident of Samurou village carried out the protest decrying the killing of a People United Liberation Front (PULF) activist by a combined force of police commandos and troops of 12 Maratha Li at Samurou village last night at around 8.30 allegedly after transporting there from other place.
Police said the activist died in an encounter and claimed recovery of a 9 mm pistol loaded with three live rounds and a hand grenade from the spot where the encounter took place.
Contrary to the claim made by the police, residents of the area said that the youth was shot dead by the security forces after bringing there by them last night.
Citing that in pass also security forces had done the same thing there, local residents carried out a sit-in protest at locality commencing from around 11 am with slogans not to turn out their place to be a killing field.
“We want to live in peace. We don’t want security force breaking the peace of the area and causing panicky to us. Stop killing people in fake encounter,” the slogans displayed at the protest site said.
Security forces are killing people there after transporting from other places, a woman participating in the protest alleged stating that such acts of the security forces compelled them to remain confined at home at dusk.
Government force have killed at least four militants of different outfits in the last 24-hour by the police commandos in joint counter insurgency operations at separate places in Thoubal and Imphal west districts of Manipur and recovered weapons and ammunitions, police report said today.
A militant suspected to be a cadre of the outlaw People Revolutionary Army of Kangleipak (PREPAK) was gunned down today at around 10.30 am by the state police commandos in a joint operation with the troops of Assam Rifles at Mahedev Ching under Kakching police station of Thoubal district.
A 9 mm pistol loaded with five live rounds recovered from the slain militant, police said.
Earlier on Saturday afternoon at around 2.30 pm, the same combined team of state police commandos and Assam Rifles troops gunned down two cadres of the proscribed People Liberation Army at Wabagai under Kakching police station.
Police claimed recovery of four AK series rifles with around 500 ammunitions and one lathod gun from the spot where the dead bodies of the two cadres found lying when combined force conducted search operation after ceasing the exchange of fire which last for some minutes.

More articles