Wednesday, December 7, 2022

31 cadres of five different armed outfits surrender in Manipur

Correspondent

A total of 31 cadres of five armed outlaw outfits formally surrendered before Manipur chief minister N Biren Singh here on Wednesday.
Among the surrendered cadres, 17 were from KCP (PWG), four from UNLF, six from PREPAK, three from KYKL, and one from PREPAK (VC).
They formally surrendered to the government at a homecoming ceremony held today at the Banquet Hall of 1st Battalion Manipur Rifles in Imphal.
They surrendered along with one M16 rifles, one M4 Carbine, one Lethod gun, one Single Barrel Rifle, seven .32 pistols, three .22 pistols and one 12 mm bore pistol along with five cartridges, three Lathod Shell, one IED and three live rounds.
Welcoming the 31 cadres, the chief minister assured to provide possible assistance even after the rehabilitation period to help them earn their livelihood.
Stating that northeastern states, including Manipur, were earlier treated as regions with law and order and insurgency problems, he added that the state government would always follow the scheme of surrender-cum-rehabilitation.
However, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi led government at the Centre, certain political changes could be seen in the region.
Various development works had been taken up across the region while restoring healthy relationships among different communities inhabiting the state, he added.
He maintained that the Central government had come up with mission-oriented programmes to ensure all citizens live together as one, leaving aside all differences.
He further stated that the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA), 1958, which was earlier lifted from seven segments, had also been lifted from another 15 police stations.
However, lifting of the Act from the entire state would take time as even though the law and order has remarkably improved, insurgency problems were yet to be solved.
Dialogue with many armed groups under suspension of operation truce were in progress and the government always opened the door for other groups willing to hold dialogue, he said.
“The government is open for all forms of talk to bring back cadres of all underground groups to the mainstream,” he said.
He reiterated the statement of Union home minister Amit Shah that not a single bullet would be fired on militants who want to return to normal lives and join the national mainstream and no FIR would be lodged against them unless they were involved in a heinous crime.
Asserting that the state government had been taking up various initiatives to create a peaceful environment across the state, the chief minister appealed to the various security forces operating in the state to support the state government’s effort to bring back members of underground groups to the mainstream, so that more cadres would come out to surrender.
He further appealed to all active cadres of UG groups to join the mainstream and asked them to lend their hands in bringing development to the state.
Some ministers, MLAs of the ruling parties, top officials of the state police department including DGP P Doungel and senior officials of paramilitary forces also attended the programme among others.

Must Read