We live in extraordinary times. With all its advancement the world is just recovering from the deadly effects of the coronavirus, which has affected our societies, our churches, and our families. Yet, the news of an older virus continues to affect many segments of our society – and even our churches – the endemic sin (virus) of the heart which is manifested in violence, division, and great suffering of humanity. With so much bad news, our hope still remains and is based in a Person – the person of Jesus Christ. Jesus is the only One who can satisfy the deep hunger of our hearts and the pain of our world. Indeed, a deep embracing of Jesus’ life, teachings, and sacrifice will give the world the true sense of peace, justice, and harmony that brings about hope. Hence, our story will be HIS STORY as we put our hope in Him and look ahead to the culmination of time. In this Jubilee year, because of our deep sorrow for the way things are, and our profound hope in God’s faithfulness to bring about a more just and loving society, the NBCC calls its Baptist members to prayer and fasting once again. The prophet Joel declares, “Blow the trumpet in Zion, declare a holy fast, call a sacred assembly. Gather the people, consecrate the assembly” (Joel 2:15-16). We, therefore, call upon all our Executive Secretaries and pastors to lead our churches in prayer for the healing of our land.
“All things becoming new” is the future hope of God’s tomorrow and gives us the strength to pray, “Your kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven.” The Associations/churches may have the liberty to modify/ add to some of the suggested prayer points:
- Pray for a Great Awakening and for Salvation
‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your young men shall see visions, your old men shall dream dreams. – Acts 2:17
As Christians we should all desire for the lost to come to Christ and for an outpouring of His Spirit to take place. Some key things to pray for this prayer point:
• Pray that hearts would become soft and turn to God. That people would have an incredible experience with Jesus. That they would repent and be born again! If someone comes to mind get specific! Pray for their salvation!
• Pray for the prodigal sons and daughter to return to God.
• Pray for a revival and an outpouring of God’s Spirit to fall in our church, villages, towns, state, nation, etc.
• Pray for workers in the field (Those working in the ministry).
• Pray for the church to have a prayer burden for the lost.
• Pray for the saints to be equipped for a great harvest
• Pray for world leaders and people of influence to turn to God.
- For the Body of Christ To Be in Unity and Walk in Love
Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. – 1 Corinthians 1:10
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. – John 13:35
The church is meant to walk in unity and God’s love. Sadly, this is not always what is happening in the body of Christ. This should be something we should pray for as it can bring healing and transformation. Some key things to pray:
• Pray for the church to walk in God’s love and experience God’s love in a greater way.
• Pray for the church to release what it means for love to cover a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8).
• Pray for unity within the body. That disaccord, disunity, offense, and rejection would have no place in the church.
• Pray for those whose hearts have been hurt to be healed and for reconciliation to take place.
• Pray for protection for those in church leadership and those in the congregation. That every scheme and plan of the enemy would fail.
- Pray for God’s Will to Be Done
In this manner, therefore, pray: “Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.” – Matthew 6:9-13
Our desire should always be for God’s will to be done, not matter what the cost. Jesus prayed in the garden giving up His will for the will of the Father!
• In your Personal Life – Pray for God’s will to be established and be done in your own personal life. Cover your family as well. If you know what God’s will is and having a hard time accepting it, I encourage you to pray for grace, and strength to embrace what the Lord has for you.
• In the Church – Pray for God’s will to be done in the body of Christ. That we would line up according to what He has called us for. You can also pray this on a more personal level for the church you attend.
• In the World – Pray for God’s will to be in the Earth and that prophecy would be fulfilled according to His word. The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life. (Revelation 22:17).
4: Pray for Your Leaders, Both Church and Governmental
Therefore, I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. – 1 Timothy 2:1-4
Key things to pray for church leaders:
• Cover your spiritual leaders in prayer by praying for protection, wisdom, strength, grace, peace. Etc.
• Pray that they would be protected from temptation, fiery darts, and snares of the devil.
• Pray for their hearts to burn with passion for God. To love and devour His word, walk in truth, and purity.
• Pray they would preach the word with boldness and be sensitive to the Holy Spirit.
Key things to pray for governmental leaders:
• Pray for your leaders to come to knowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord and Saviour. And if they do know the Lord that their relationship with Him would grow and prosper.
• Pray that they would have Godly wisdom and laws would NOT be passed that go against God’s Word.
• Pray that God would surround these individuals with people that know the Lord and would be a mouthpiece for Him.
• Pray for protection over any scheme of man or the enemy that would cause this leader to make wrong decisions both governmental and personally.
- Pray for Sesquicentennial Celebration: November 19-20, 2022
Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then they said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.” The Lord has done great things for us; we are glad. Psalm 126:2-3
• Pray that there will be great jubilation among God’s people for He has done great things among His people.
• Pray for the ongoing preparation and the various Committees for God’s guidance, provision and protection.
• Pray for the Speakers and participants for God’s anointing so that they may be used by God mightily.
• Pray for regional, national and international guest attending the celebration.
• Pray that the churches will take the lead in reaching out with concrete acts of love and compassion in the society during this year of Jubilee.
- Pray for Clean Election Movement and 2023 Election
• Pray for the candidates that they come to know the fear of the Lord so that they will walk in wisdom throughout this long campaign season.
• Pray that people will seriously seek God in how they vote.
• Pray for God’s Spirit to fill the voting booths and guide people as they vote.
• Pray that huge numbers of godly people will turn out to vote.
• Pray for people to follow God’s guidance not just political parties.
• Pray that God will give us godly leaders of integrity who will govern in wisdom and righteousness.
• Pray for the peace of God to rest upon Nagaland. Finally, let’s agree and say, “Lord, shake the very foundation of ungodliness in this society until our hearts are turned to you in repentance and worship. We will be steadfast until that for which we have been praying is realized”.
• Pray for the media so that each member of the print and broadcast media will report the facts of election cycle in truth, avoiding any bias in their comments.
- Naga Political Situation
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:33)
• Pray for Naga political situation for a viable solution.
• Pray for peace and harmony among all tribes.
• Pray for the National workers to desist from all kinds of evil practices and become true and faithful to God and to the people.
• Pray for all the leaders of Naga Political groups that there will be understanding, healing and reconciliation among them.
• Pray for stakeholders who are working for reconciliation and healing in our land.
• Pray that the leaders of our people would ask God for His wisdom and hope. Pray that the Churches will seek the face of God together earnestly and with perseverance, so that He will open the heavens, reveal His glory and pour His power upon our land and people. Let us claim His promise that “if my people … humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land” (2 Chronicles 7:14).
Rev. Dr. Zelhou Keyho, General Secretary, NBCC