Sunday, January 29, 2023

SAPO bandh: Manipur-bound truck set ablaze

Correspondent

A Manipur-bound truck was reportedly set on fire between Khuzama and Viswema (Kohima-Mao road NH-2) on the wee hours of Saturday morning.
The incident took place around 2 a.m., in the wake of Southern Angami Public Organization (SAPO) decision to ban Mao citizens from entering the Southern Angami areas with effect from December l5, 2022 vis-à-vis Kezoltsa land dispute issue.
When contacted, police sources also confirmed about the incident. It was learnt that the truck, belonging to a person from Senapati district, was on its way to Manipur side when the incident happened.
Meanwhile, Southern Angami Public Organisation (SAPO) president, Kevipodi Sophie, said the incident at Khuzama was a fallout of the restriction imposed in SAPO jurisdiction.
He asserted that SAPO had publicly made it clear that no individual from Mao community would be given passage. Sophie said that there may have been some stray incidents, but the situation was by and large peaceful. He said that SAPO was monitoring the situation.
With regard to the land issue, he said there has been no discussion since the organization was very clear on its position and that there was no longer a need to review the issue and reaffirmed the December 7 general body meeting decision. On Mao Council’s rejoinder to statement by SAPO, Sophie said there was no need for SAPO to issue any clarification since it had already given the details on why the present situation had been necessitated. He said Mao Council statement holds no validity since there was nothing that SAPO had not mentioned in its press release.
He maintained that SAPO was not going to engage in a paper war with the Mao Council on the issue, but await the verdict of Tenyimi People’s Organization (TPO), and if necessary, it would make the verdict public.

SourceNPN
Must Read