Sunday, November 27, 2022

Top militant held in Manipur with arms, ammunition


A top leader of Chin Kuki Liberation Army (CKLA), a militant group actively operating in Manipur’s Churachandpur district was arrested with arms and ammunition, a police source said on Saturday.
Self-styled lieutenant colonel who is also town commander of the group, Hemkhothang Baite (46) son of Lhunkholet Baite was nabbed by a joint team of state police commandos and troops of 36 Assam Rifles from New Lamka under Churachandpur police station on Friday afternoon, the source said. CKLA is one of few militant groups not included among the several Kuki based armed groups under suspension of operation (SoO) truce with the government forces.
The police said that the joint team seized one 9mm pistol (Pietro Beretta B/No.J68507Z) loaded with nine live rounds, one pistol with a magazine and a motorcycle (Ray ZR Yamaha with on registration plate) in which he came.
A joint team nabbed him last night during frisking and checking operation in front of Dorcas hall, New Lamka along Tiddim road.
They conducted the operation based on movement of militants in the area to carry out extortion activities. During the frisking and checking operation, the security personnel stopped a person who came on a two-wheeler in a suspicious manner.
During a body search, the security personnel intercepted the arms and ammunition in his possession and on spot verification he identified himself as town commander of the CKLA.
He was later handed over to the Churachandpur police station where a case was registered against him.
In another militancy related incident, suspected militants launched a failed grenade attack at a shop in Ukhrul’s Viewland Bazar on Friday night.
Police said that the China-made hand grenade hurled by the suspects did not explode. On being informed, a police team from Ukhrul district headquarters rushed to the spot and called out experts from the state police bomb detection and disposal squad who defused the same around 11.50 pm.
The hand grenade was later detonated safely at a forest area of the district in the early hours of today, the source said. The police suspected the bomb was being hurled to the shop in connection with monetary demand by cadres of an armed outfit actively operating in the district. No armed group owned up for the failed attack till the time of filing this report.

Must Read