Tuesday, February 17, 2026
Nagaland NewsJan 19 case was ‘arrest’, not abduction: NSCN-K (Khango-Vuss...

Jan 19 case was ‘arrest’, not abduction: NSCN-K (Khango-Vusshe)

Staff ReporterDIMAPUR, JAN 21 (NPN)

NSCN-K (Khango-Vusshe) on Wednesday claimed that the January 19 incident involving Kiyeto Zhimomi was an “arrest” carried out on government standing order and not an abduction.
Addressing the media at the group’s Ceasefire Supervisory Board (CFSB) office here, MIP kilonser Hokashe Muru said Kiyeto, president of Railway Courier Union, was arrested in his official capacity for alleged financial/taxation irregularities.
He claimed that Kiyeto had been collecting tax from firms and industries on behalf of the “NSCN/GPRN (Khango-Vusshe) government” but had failed to remit the amount for over one-and-a-half years.
Muru alleged that attempts were initially made to resolve the matter amicably by issuing official summons to Kiyeto, which he claimed were ignored. He further stated that the government was unaware of Kiyeto’s real identity and his position as a gaon bura, adding that he was known only as “Kits Zhimo”.
He also alleged that Kiyeto obstructed efforts to convene a meeting with the Railway Courier Union, claiming that when the government was scheduled to hold a meeting with the union, Kiyeto allegedly prevented members from attending.
Referring to the January 19 incident, Muru said cadres had gone to meet Kiyeto to discuss the matter, during which he allegedly began making phone calls. Muru claimed that on checking his phone, it was found that Kiyeto was allegedly contacting the Indian Army.
Muru further alleged that under the cover of a legal transport business, Kiyeto was involved in multiple illegal activities. He claimed that the “government” possessed evidence linking Kiyeto to the sale of stolen vehicles, tampering with vehicle registration numbers and transportation of illegal arecanut.
He also referred to an incident on June 23, 2025, when a “government” raid was allegedly conducted on a godown owned by Kiyeto, leading to the alleged seizure of a large quantity of illegal poppy seeds. Muru added that the CFSB office had been informed of the action taken in the January 19 case.
Further, Muru alleged that Kiyeto was an “Indian agent” and claimed that several NSCN members had been arrested following FIRs allegedly lodged through him.
Responding to allegations that a bond agreement of Rs. 30 lakh was signed under duress, Muru maintained that the agreement was not signed at gunpoint. He claimed that the amount was agreed upon at Kiyeto’s request on humanitarian grounds due to his ill health, so as not to take him to the group’s general headquarters. He said the tax amount allegedly ranged between Rs. 40-50 lakh, excluding fines, for a period of over one-and-a-half years, but was settled at Rs. 30 lakh.
He also informed that several civil society organisations had appealed to them for Kiyeto’s release, following which he was released on January 20 at around 2 a.m.
Denying claims that Kiyeto was brought to CFSB office and assaulted, Muru said Kiyeto was not taken to CFSB office during custody and was brought there only at the time of release to be handed over to Western Sümi Youth Front (WSYF). He termed allegations of assault at the CFSB office as baseless, adding that any physical altercation was allegedly the result of Kiyeto’s provocative actions.
Muru appealed to the public not to defend individuals allegedly involved in criminal activities and reiterated that the action taken against Kiyeto was on “government standing order” and not on personal grounds.
Responding to questions on tax collection while under ceasefire, Muru maintained that the January 19 case did not amount to extortion or kidnapping, asserting that it was legitimate taxation.
Replying to statements made by deputy chief minister Y. Patton, Muru said the CFSB office was established with the knowledge and understanding of the Government of India and that the presence of cadres, arms and ammunition was in accordance with ceasefire ground rules. He claimed that state police were free to verify the office at any time.
On claims made by GPRN/NSCN (Unification), which reportedly termed the defection of its region to NSCN/GPRN (Khango-Vusshe) as false and alleged that photographs were manipulated, Muru denied the allegation. He claimed that the photographs circulated were genuine and asserted that the Sümi region of GPRN/NSCN had joined their group en bloc.
Meanwhile, finance secretary Hekhuyi Kiba alias H. Kiba, also addressing the media, claimed that he possessed names and evidence detailing the amount of tax allegedly collected by Kiyeto on behalf of the government. He reiterated that the arrest was carried out on standing order to avoid further complications.

EDITOR PICKS

Dimapur’s industry

The National Party Youth Front (NPYF) has raised its voice against the unchecked growth of multiple taxes(whether authorized, unauthorized, or outright illegal) collected at check gates and entry points in Dimapur. This problem is not new for it was...