Staff Reporter
DIMAPUR, MAY 19 (NPN): There are palpable expectations that the long-pending issue of occupation of Dimapur Railway Station land may be resolved depending upon how soon and how much land compensation money is paid to the occupants.
This was what could be understood from the statement made by the Railway Affected Landowners Association (RALOA) in an exclusive interview to this newspaper here on Tuesday.
According to RALOA, the assurance for land compensation was made to its delegation when they met Union Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw in New Delhi recently to expedite the compensation process.
RALOA chief adviser S. Hukavi Zhimomi told this Reporter that landowners were fully prepared to cooperate once their rights were addressed.
He said this was the third meeting with the Union Minister seeking to reaffirm concerns after the State government forwarded the matter.
He said Vaishnaw had already directed the department to address the issue on priority. Zhimomi informed the minister that the proposed railway expansion stretch covered nearly seven kilometres and could affect around 30 to 40 structures. Following the discussion, the minister assured the delegation that the department would act swiftly.
He added that the proposed double-lane railway expansion and railway station upgradation were now being considered together, increasing the urgency of the matter at the Centre.
Zhimomi said the meeting marked a significant development as the Centre was actively pushing for resolution of the long-standing issue linked to railway expansion in Dimapur.
On the outcome of the meeting, Zhimomi said the Railway Minister held detailed discussions with the delegation and directed railway officials to take up the matter urgently.
Dismissing speculation that the project could be shifted elsewhere, he said a work order had already been issued for about Rs. 280 crore and work had been going on for the past six to seven months, with bills currently being processed.
Citing Article 371A, Zhimomi asserted that land and its resources in Nagaland belonged to the people and that any acquisition must follow due legal process. He maintained that development projects could not override the land rights of citizens and said compensation responsibility rested with the railway department.
Zhimomi stated that landowners were willing to part with the land once proper compensation was paid and assured that pending cases would then be withdrawn to allow the project to proceed. However, he warned that surrendering land without compensation would create a dangerous precedent for future generations in the State.
Zhimomi said RALOA had finalised categorised compensation rates for commercial, urban and village areas after consulting landowners, though details were withheld as the matter remained under government consideration. He added that the association was willing to remain flexible and was not demanding maximum compensation rates.
He described the continued construction activities within the railway area despite district restrictions as a complex issue linked to unresolved land ownership disputes. He said people would continue asserting their rights until compensation was settled, as the matter remained sub judice.
He informed that verification of land records was underway, with both the district administration and RALOA scrutinising claims. Although the Union Minister had not fixed a timeline for settlement, Zhimomi expressed confidence that the process would move forward without delay.
He reiterated that landowners were willing to cooperate for development, provided their rights and compensation claims were properly addressed.
