Monday, February 23, 2026
Nagaland NewsNagaland DMC begins demolition drive to clear illegal struct...

Nagaland DMC begins demolition drive to clear illegal structures

Staff ReporterDIMAPUR, NOV 26 (NPN)

Dimapur Municipal Council (DMC) has launched a phase-wise demolition and clearance drive to remove temporary and unauthorised structures across key locations of Dimapur city.
Speaking to Nagaland Post, DMC chairman Hukheto Yepthomi on Wednesday said the action followed an inspection carried out on November 24 along with officials of the Dimapur Police Traffic division. The first phase of the operation began on November 25, covering the New Market stretch, Batacharali and the space beneath the new flyover.
Despite the ongoing Christmas season, Hukheto informed that the drive would continue and would soon extend to Hazi Park, Hongkong Market and other congested pockets of the town. “By next week, even street-side encroachments in two major locations will be removed,” he stated.
He clarified that the clearing operations were being undertaken ward-wise, with councillors overseeing their respective jurisdictions to ensure systematic removal of encroachments. He also reiterated that no permanent buildings were being targeted at this stage- only illegal temporary structures.
According to him, the initiative also aims to convert cleared spaces into designated parking zones to ease the city’s growing traffic congestion.
Hukheto further recalled that during an inspection in 2023, advisor Urban Development, Zhaleo Rio, had directed DMC to remove all illegal and temporary structures in the city. “We are carrying out the work strictly on those lines,” he added.
DMC officials said most makeshift stalls- erected by street vendors and hawkers without permission- had been obstructing traffic flow and pedestrian movement. Several shopowners also acknowledged before the Council that their stalls had been set up without approval from any authority. Demolition and removal operations will continue in phases in the coming weeks.

EDITOR PICKS

Putting Trump in place

The U.S. Supreme Court’s February 21 ruling marks a decisive moment in the long-running battle over executive authority and economic governance under the Trump administration. By a 6–3 majority, the overwhelmingly Conservative majority judges, struc...