Staff Reporter
DIMAPUR, MAY 23 (NPN): Advisor for Tribal Affairs and Elections, H. Tovihoto Ayemi on Saturday warned that strict action would be taken against individuals encroaching on drainage systems in Dimapur, asserting that “the law is the same for everyone”, regardless of influence or status.
The advisor issued the warning while inspecting the ongoing drainage cleaning drive across Dimapur being undertaken as part of monsoon preparedness efforts. The initiative is being carried out by Dimapur Urban Council Chairmen Federation (DUCCF) and GB Union (Dimapur Sadar) in collaboration with the Nagaland State Disaster Management Authority (NSDMA) under the aegis of the district administration.
Speaking to media persons during the inspection, Tovihoto said recurring urban flooding in Dimapur was largely linked to clogged drains, indiscriminate dumping of waste and encroachments on drainage channels.
Highlighting encroachment as a major concern, he informed that the district administration had been directed to identify and remove all illegal structures obstructing drains. “Whether influential or not, nobody has the right to encroach on drainage,” he asserted, while assuring that encroachments would be cleared within a short period of time.
Expressing satisfaction with the progress of the ongoing cleaning exercise, Tovihoto said the initiative was crucial to prevent flooding during the monsoon season. “Every year we see the same issues. This time, I came personally to verify the progress, and I am satisfied with the work being carried out,” he said, while expressing hope that Dimapur would not face the same scale of flooding as in previous years.
On long-term measures, he acknowledged that periodic cleaning alone would not solve the problem and stressed the need for coordinated efforts among agencies such as the Dimapur Municipal Council (DMC), disaster management authorities and other stakeholders.
He also emphasised the importance of public cooperation, stating that drains should not be treated as dumping grounds. “No initiative will succeed without public cooperation. Indiscriminate disposal of waste is one of the primary reasons for clogging and overflow during monsoon,” he said.
Meanwhile, DUCCF president Zasivikho Zakiesato informed that six teams were simultaneously engaged in cleaning operations across key stretches of the town under the supervision of the District Disaster Management Authority (DDMA). He said extracted waste was being collected at designated pickup points to prevent it from flowing into rivers, while temporary nets had also been installed at strategic locations to trap floating garbage during the rainy season.
He however stressed the need for permanent infrastructure such as concrete barriers and mechanical lifting systems for effective waste management, stating that temporary measures were being adopted due to lack of funds and authority.
Zakiesato also appealed to the district administration to empower colony councils through formal orders to enforce proper waste disposal practices. He further informed that DUCCF was planning to organise a free medical camp for labourers engaged in the cleaning drive in view of the health risks faced by workers involved in drain cleaning operations.
He also acknowledged advisor for Labour & Employment, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship and Excise, Moatoshi Longkumer, and advisor for Tribal Affairs and Elections, H. Tovihoto Ayemi, for visiting the inspection sites.
